The Methodists in Banbridge
Banbridge Methodism began in John Bradford's Newry Street stable around 1785 and, as it grew, moved to the upper room of the house itself, and then to the Market House - by which time the congregation could be in the region of 100.
The inaugural service in a new Primitive chapel took place in 1831 and the collection raised on the day almost covered the entire cost of the structure.
The foundation stone of the present church building was laid in 1870, with the first service taking place the next year. A vestry was added in 1956, and the church hall in 1981.
Enhancements continue to be made to the interior as the congregation seek to make their own contribution to the Lord's work in their local community - all of which, no doubt, will cost a great deal more than the £2400 it took to build the original mock-Gothic building in the first place.
No comments posted.
Professional family and children's portrait photography in Northern Ireland. Drew is a qualified Associate member of both the 'Society of Wedding and Portrait Photographers' and the 'National Photographic Society'. He is qualified to Licentiate level with the 'Professional Photographers Association of Northern Ireland' and is a Master Photographer of the 'National Photographic Society'.